The Legendary stories about the Spartans ring on throughout the ages but who were they and where did they come from. lets once again turn to our Holy records The Bible and start with 1 Maccabees 14:4. As for the land of Judea, that was quiet all the days of Simon; for he sought the good of his nation in such wise, as that evermore his authority and honour pleased them well.
5. And as he was honourable in all his acts, so in this, that he took Joppa for an haven, and made an entrance to the isles of the sea,
1 Maccabees 14:11. He made peace in the land, and Israel rejoiced with great joy:
12. For every man sat under his vine and his fig tree, and there was none to fray them:
13. Neither was there any left in the land to fight against them: yea, the kings themselves were overthrown in those days.
14. Moreover he strengthened all those of his people that were brought low: the law he searched out; and every contemner of the law and wicked person he took away.
15. He beautified the sanctuary, and multiplied vessels of the temple.
16. Now when it was heard at Rome, and as far as Sparta, that Jonathan was dead, they were very sorry.
17. But as soon as they heard that his brother Simon was made high priest in his stead, and ruled the country, and the cities therein:
18.They wrote unto him in tables of brass, to renew the friendship and league which they had made with Judas and Jonathan his brethren:
19. Which writings were read before the congregation at Jerusalem.
20. And this is the copy of the letters that the Lacedemonians sent; The rulers of the Lacedemonians, with the city, unto Simon the high priest, and the elders, and priests, and residue of the people of the Jews, our brethren, send greeting: Notice in the picture to your left: The L on the shield this symbol has been twisted for years to hide the facts surrounding this famous group.